Rémi Coulom's Home Page
Welcome to my home page. I am a freelance programmer in the field of
artificial intelligence in games. My software is available for sale thanks to a
partnership with Unbalance. My e-mail
address is R e m i . Coulom at free.fr.
On this page, you'll find some of my software and papers. I also post news on Google+, Facebook, and Twitter.
In the past, I was Associate Professor of Computer Science at the Lille 3 University, and a member of the SequeL research group.
I am hosting the Game AI Forum, goratings.org, and the ICGA Tournaments database.
- (2012.12.28) The Crazy Bishop is now available for Windows 8. Below is a table of all versions distributed by Unbalance:
- (2011.03.02) chess-0057.tar.bz2: chess-related source code: PGN I/O, a chess engine, a treemap visualizer, and more.
- (2006.02.09) Bayesian Elo Rating: a tool that reads a PGN file, and estimates Elo ratings.
- (2004.07.15) tcb0052.zip: The Crazy Bishop, Winboard engine.
- (2001.11.21) pgn2epd.exe: PGN to EPD converter with best move (usage: "pgn2epd <file.pgn >file.epd").
Game of Go (Weiqi, Baduk)
Othello / Reversi
- (2013.11.21) The Othello is now available for Windows 8. Below is a table of all versions distributed by Unbalance:
- (2002.12.29) swimmer.tar.bz2 Source code of my swimmer simulator, with documentation on how to write your own controller.
- (2002.05.07) swimmer demos of my PhD thesis.
- (2015-01-31) joedb, the Journal-Only Embedded Database.
Publications and Conference Presentations
Statistics on Game Outcomes
(2011.05.11) Time Management for Monte-Carlo Tree Search Applied to the Game of Go, International Conference on Applications of Artificial Intelligence (TAAI), Taiwan, 2010.
(2010.09.30) Monte-Carlo Simulation Balancing in Practice, International Conference on Computers and Games, Kanazawa, 2010.
(2009.02.01) Criticality: a Monte-Carlo Heuristic for Go Programs, University of Electro-Communication, Tokyo, Japan, 2009.
(2009.02.01) The Monte-Carlo Revolution in
Go, JFFoS'2008: Japanese-French Frontiers of Science Symposium.
(2007.10.25) Monte-Carlo Tree Search in Crazy
Stone. 12th Game Programming Workshop, Hakone, Japan,
(2007.05.22) Computing Elo Ratings of Move Patterns
in the Game of Go. In H. Jaap van den Herik, Jos W. H. M. Uiterwijk, Mark
Winands and Maarten Schadd editors, Computer Games Workshop, Amsterdam,
The Netherlands, 2007.
(2006.05.19) Efficient Selectivity and Backup Operators in Monte-Carlo Tree Search.
In P. Ciancarini and H. J. van den Herik, editors, Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Computers and Games, Turin, Italy, 2006.
Treemaps for search-tree visualization.
In J. W. H. M. Uiterwijk, editor,
The Seventh Computer Olympiad Computer-Games Workshop Proceedings,
Reinforcement Learning and Motor Control
Value-Function Approximation with Neural Networks Applied to the Acrobot.
In M. Verleysen, editor, European Symposium on Artificial Neural
Networks, Bruges, Belgium, 2004.
(2003.12.29) A model-based actor-critic algorithm in continuous time and space. In A. Dutech and F. Garcia, editors, Proceedings of the Sixth European Workshop on Reinforcement Learning, Nancy, France, 2003.
Des réseaux de neurones artificiels apprennent la natation.
Le Gluon (journal de vulgarisation scientifique de l'Université
Joseph Fourier), numéro 6, Décembre 2002.
Reinforcement Learning Using Neural Networks, with Applications to Motor Control.
PhD thesis, Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble, 2002.